Is this EM or not?

Here you can introduce yourself and give an account of your medical history, visits to physicians, results of treatments, etc.
mklt

Is this EM or not?

Post by mklt » Sun 5 Jun 2016 21:31

I had a tick bite almost two weeks ago. The tick was of nymph stage. I have noticed it rather late and probably irritated it since I recall scratching the site of attachment during morning shower routine, then through my clothes during the day, since it was itchy. There was a small rash and irritation visible in the evening and it is then that I noticed and removed the tick.
Over 12 days the rash at the site of the bite has enlarged, but it still does not look and behave like a typical EM.
The rash is paler than most EM pics and there is no clear bulls eye pattern.
In the mornings the rash is now ~2-3 cm in size and it feels a bit itchy, the skin is slightly raised and it feels like a small lump. I have been swimming in salt water for couple of days and after saltwater exposure it swells to ~3-4 cm but then in the morning it is smaller and less visible again.
I have took the pics yesterday evening (after swim), today morning, and today evening (again after swim).

I have put the pics here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

0548 is the morning pic.
I am puzzled and scared about the possibility of Lyme disease, hence I've been trawling the net for the info and found this excellent forum.
I would like to ask for your input - whether this is EM or no?
Many thanks.

RitaA

Re: Is this EM or not?

Post by RitaA » Mon 6 Jun 2016 10:03

mklt wrote: Over 12 days the rash at the site of the bite has enlarged, but it still does not look and behave like a typical EM.
The rash is paler than most EM pics and there is no clear bulls eye pattern.
Hi mklt,

Unfortunately, the "classic" bull`s eye rash may not be so typical after all, however an expanding rash is reason enough for you to seek medical advice as soon as possible.

It's very late for me, so I'm going to keep my message brief, however I would encourage you to have a look at some of the photos and descriptions of EM in the thread entitled `Focusing on the bull's eye, you may miss the mark`which is found here: http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... f=5&t=3924&

I'm sure you realize that no one (even someone with medical training) on this or any other internet forum can give you a definitive diagnosis. If the medical professional you consult is unsure whether or not your rash is EM, and therefore decides to order a blood test, please keep in mind that some people with early Lyme disease may actually test negative initially because it can take two weeks (and sometimes much longer) for a person to produce one or more of the antibodies that current tests are based on.

Also, please note that ticks may transmit several pathogens, some of which can make people very sick indeed. Late stage Lyme disease is no laughing matter, as many of us on this forum have personally discovered, but neither are other tick-borne diseases. If you do have Lyme disease, the sooner you are diagnosed and treated, the better off you will be.

Take care, and best of luck.