Toxic Medicating Trend - Are You Overdosing in Lymeland

For everything that is related to Lyme and/or Lymeland, but doesn't fit in the other forums. Speak your mind, connect, ask help, etc.
LymeH

Toxic Medicating Trend - Are You Overdosing in Lymeland

Post by LymeH » Fri 9 Apr 2010 0:05

It seems like many in Lymeland are following similar potentially lethal prescription regimens. Don't let this happen to you. Tell a friend.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ye ... anna1.html
Perper noted that the level of chloral hydrate--which is often used to combat insomnia and slows respiration--found in Smith's system was not, in itself, lethal. But combined with the other drugs, which were found at "therapeutic levels," the chloral hydrate proved lethal.

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interacti ... report.pdf

I. ACUTE COMBINED DRUG INTOXICATION
A. Toxic/lethal drug:
Chloral Hydrate (Noctec)
1.Trichloroethanol (TCE) 75ug/mL (active metabolite)
2.Trichloroacetic acid ( TCA) 85ug/mL (inactive metabolite)
B. Therapeutic drugs :
1. Diphenhydramine (Bendaryl) 0.11 mg/L
2. Clonazepam (Klonopin) 0.04 mg/L
3. Diazepam (Valium) 0.21 mg/L
4. Nordiazepam (metabolite) 0.38 mg/L
5 Temazepam (metabolite) 0.09 mg/L
6. Oxazepam 0.09 mg/L
7. Lorazepam 22.0 ng/mL
C. Other non-contributory drugs present (atropine, topiramate, ciprofloxacin, acetaminophen)
Too many patients in Lymeland and elsewhere are being overmedicated. Many people are on multiple drug combinations of various benzodiazepines, antibiotics, pain medicines, etc. No one, ususally, intends to fall into an ever increasing medication regimen, but it happens every day.

It is slow, seductive and insidious. More symptoms, more pain, more medications, more desperation and desire to follow anyone with 'all the answers' to your ills.

You have some anxiety? Take a Valium.
Having trouble sleeping now? Take a Temazepam
Getting muscle cramps and more pain? Take opiates or barbituates
What! You have an infection? Blend in some antibiotics
Allergies? Toss in some Benedryl
A headache - PLEASE! Such a complainer - always bitching about something. Just take a Tylenol and get out of my office! AND DON"T COME BACK <<<<EVER>>>> BOOM - You have just overdosed, as prescribed by your friendly doctor who is only trying to help you.

And remember, it is the Lyme disease ( insert your disease of choice) that causes the cognitive problems, not the medications. (This is scarcasm)

Everyone wants to fit in somewhere. Everyone wants to belong. People need to be careful who they choose to follow. Individuals need to lead themself first - trust in yourself.

Just because you don't have the answers, does not mean that someone else does (plagerized from someone).

How many medications and supplements are you on? (Rhetorical)

Cobwebby

Re: Toxic Medicating Trend - Are You Overdosing in Lymeland

Post by Cobwebby » Fri 9 Apr 2010 0:29

I can think of several who are probably suffering from toxic blends. I often feel like I am lucky to have survived Lyme Disease- but Lyme Treatment as well.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Fri 9 Apr 2010 2:22

( hand raised politely I ask)

why would you place an excerpt from Anna Nicole Smith's autopsy report here??

do you suspect she actually died from Lyme Disease??

and the fact that she was on so many tranqs at the same time??? and that gosh darn "chloral hydrate"--its a sedative and hypnotic and I cant recall anyone mentioning that theyre on that as part of their Lyme regimen.

Cobs: did you not notice this?? or the fact the the first excerpt was taken from " the smoking gun" a really really trusted and valuable source of information and that also referred to the autopsy report as well.

If the point being made is that often drugs that are okay when taken alone but pose additional risks when combined--why use such an example--of a known addicted over the top pill popper reported on by such a "source"??

and BTW you missed one very GOOD "azepam" IMO--the oxazepam aka Serax--is the SAFEST diazepine type tranquilizer-- why?? it doesnt have active metabolites when its metabolized so seniors and those taking other meds and especially those with dysautonomia dont suffer effects as the drug is leaving the system. And it now is limited in availability here in US .

PSA:( I like information to be helpful to others)

For the purposes of anyone on or thinking of taking a chemical brew ( which is oftentimes the "necessary evil") there are great sites that can help you check for interactions with other drugs and even foods!!
here are 2 of them:
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

http://www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Dru ... Calculator

Besides I cant imagine a single member here whether on no drugs or many drugs not knowing this or not having had checked on their own the possible interactions...but just in case...there are also many other interactions checking sites--even for herbs too!!

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Fri 9 Apr 2010 3:12

Whew! I was worried there for a minute that this was in medical instead of Lyme Cafe.

I'm still grateful that I survived my lyme treatment-especially when the pharmacist kept questioning the dosages. He had never seen nor known of such high doses being used to treat anybody for anything. But after a conference with my LLMD he eventually would fill the scripts.

I was also introduced to a couple of "controlled" substances in my LD treatment. Of course at the time- I loved them-but was aware that long term they could really cause dependency-and be messing with my head more than I realized-fortunately I have been able to wean off of them.

It always baffled me whether my dibilitation was due to LD or side effects .

I do think every Lyme patient should be really concerned about this issue.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Fri 9 Apr 2010 6:45

I do think every Lyme patient should be really concerned about this issue

absolutely--concern
not so much- alarm and panic; especially over becoming like Anna Nicole
Im not a fan of hyperbole scare tactics

FWIW there is a post in medical!!! its a list of far more sites that provide guidance about drug and food and herb interactions!!!

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... f=6&t=2983