Lyme disease: A Look Beyond Antibiotics - Klinghardt

Topics with information and discussion about unconventional diagnostic and treatment methods, and unconventional views.
Martian

Lyme disease: A Look Beyond Antibiotics - Klinghardt

Post by Martian » Fri 19 Apr 2013 2:11

Read ILADS associate Dietrich Klinghardt discussing his "Lyme protocols":

Lyme disease: A Look Beyond Antibiotics
Dietrich K.Klinghardt, MD, PhD
1/7/05 and 1/7/06

PDF: http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images ... _Jan06.pdf
Powerpoint: http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images ... d2_abx.pdf

A Deep Look Beyond Lyme
2011 Klinghardt Academy Event
With highlights by Scott Forsgren

PDF: http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images ... _notes.pdf

Klinghardt's website: http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/
Welcome to the Klinghardt Academy

The Klinghardt Academy is the official resource for Dr Dietrich Klinghardt's information, protocols, articles, educational materials, audio and video files and training. You are invited to join his newsletter for periodic updates and for notification of forthcoming events.

Camp Other

Re: Lyme disease: A Look Beyond Antibiotics - Klinghardt

Post by Camp Other » Fri 19 Apr 2013 5:05

Martian wrote:Read ILADS associate Dietrich Klinghardt discussing his "Lyme protocols":
I've read some of his protocol material before. A glance at the first paper leads me to conclude that it contains a combination of scientific facts - that is, he is describing what happens in Lyme disease accurately - along with treatments which are either okay or have no evidence to back them.

And the problem is a number of people who might go to see him couldn't begin to separate the facts from the speculation - some of it may even border on "intelligent, educated guess" - but the rest of it has absolutely no evidence to support its use. Not only that - some of it is risky and can lead to serious harm, such as the vitamin C and salt protocol which is mentioned in step 1 (I believe it was step 1?) which is deworming.

In order to list that which is scientific fact versus speculative but potentially plausible versus not supported at all and harmful, it would take a while - except for those items which are pretty obvious (e.g. salt and C).

I don't even know where to begin as I skimmed it, but I can say straight off a number of ideas did not make sense to me and I have evidence to the contrary of what he said - including that Giardia is not diagnosed or rarely is. I have had a friend who was diagnosed with Giardiasis a few years ago and was treated for it properly and got better; I know of many more people who had it longer ago than that and same story.

Really, it would take a while to point out what is supported and what isn't because some sentences are a mix of both.

Camp Other

Re: Lyme disease: A Look Beyond Antibiotics - Klinghardt

Post by Camp Other » Fri 19 Apr 2013 5:29

That all said, Klinghardt is definitely right about something, applying the title of the thread: "A Look Beyond Antibiotics"

We are on the cusp of entering a post-antibiotic age, and we really do not want to enter it fully. We are staring into the abyss, though.

While longer courses of antibiotic treatment seem to help some patients with tickborne disease, not everyone's symptoms are resolved on them. They can't be the only answer even if they help some people.

The issue of persistence must be confirmed once and for all, and dealt with effectively - whether the outcome is persistent tolerant spirochetes sequestered in immune privileged sites or some patients have persistent antigens which are causing symptoms.

Even if stronger evidence supported the existence of infection with persistent spirochetes, the months and years of antibiotics people are trying would be better off replaced with shorter acting, more effective antibiotics and treatments than what patients are using now. I think most patients would also be MUCH happier if they had shorter effective courses of antibiotics and could go back to work and their lives even SOONER.

And of course, the oft-cited long term cost of long term antibiotic use is antibiotic resistance - resistance in bacteria other than Borrelia, which is already an issue in some patients now. Resistance that is a danger to humanity and society overall, and of concern to many doctors, surgeons, microbiologists, immunologists, and patients sitting in hospitals right now (MRSA, VRE, Tuberculosis, etc.).

If there aren't persistent spirochetes and there is another cause for patients' persisting symptoms, then that too should be determined and new treatment studies conducted for this cause. Otherwise, there aren't any other options other than to use pain meds (to which people can grow addicted, then they lose effectiveness due to tolerance) or drugs which make you stupid/sleep all the time (Neurontin and others) or using antibiotics for their anti-inflammatory purposes, or, if you are 100% certain you no longer have an infection and it isn't contraindicated - use of steroidal drugs (which have some pretty nasty side effects of their own, as do biologics/DMARDS - not to mention the expense).

The one thing I agree on is that we do need to find other treatments other than antibiotics for patients to help them heal and get better. I would like to see research on herbs for treatment because some may prove to be effective - but then like artemisinin used to treat malaria, we would then have to be careful that we didn't create resistance to the herbs, too.

Nature. Evolution. It's an amazing show, and we are not in charge. We are lucky to stay one step ahead. :geek: