Water and its memory; new diagnostic tool?

Topics with information and discussion about unconventional diagnostic and treatment methods, and unconventional views.
Margherita

Water and its memory; new diagnostic tool?

Post by Margherita » Mon 7 Jul 2014 13:55

admin
Site Admin

Re: Water and its memory; new diagnostic tool?

Post by admin » Mon 7 Jul 2014 14:53

Moved topic from Science to Unconventional Methods.

Reasons: a documentary about something questionable as the supposed water memory does not fit in the science section, which is meant for medical scientific research. Further, it isn't specifically related to tick-borne illnesses.

More info on Jacques Benveniste and water memory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Benveniste
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_memory

An article entitled "The memory of water", published at Nature.com, the journal in which Jacques Benveniste et al. published a controversial paper in 1988: http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041004/ ... 04-19.html

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Mon 7 Jul 2014 16:07

Fringe science covers everything from novel hypotheses that can be tested via scientific method to wild ad hoc theories and "New Age mumbo jumbo" with the dominance of the latter resulting in the tendency to dismiss all fringe science as the domain of pseudoscientists, hobbyists, or quacks.[9] Other terms used for the portions of fringe science that lack scientific integrity are pathological science, voodoo science, and cargo cult science. Junk science is a term typically used in the political arena to describe ideas that proponents erroneously, for political reasons, dubiously or even fraudulently claim scientific backing.
A Nobel prize winner who devotes himself to 'fringe' science.... that's really weird, isn't it! At this point I wonder in which category the current Lyme two tier testing and certain scientists involved with it fall. I suppose it's in the 'mumbo jumbo science' category. At least that makes sense and it sounds good!

Camp Other

Post by Camp Other » Mon 7 Jul 2014 18:54

Margherita wrote:
Fringe science covers everything from novel hypotheses that can be tested via scientific method to wild ad hoc theories and "New Age mumbo jumbo" with the dominance of the latter resulting in the tendency to dismiss all fringe science as the domain of pseudoscientists, hobbyists, or quacks.[9] Other terms used for the portions of fringe science that lack scientific integrity are pathological science, voodoo science, and cargo cult science. Junk science is a term typically used in the political arena to describe ideas that proponents erroneously, for political reasons, dubiously or even fraudulently claim scientific backing.
A Nobel prize winner who devotes himself to 'fringe' science.... that's really weird, isn't it! At this point I wonder in which category the current Lyme two tier testing and certain scientists involved with it fall. I suppose it's in the 'mumbo jumbo science' category. At least that makes sense and it sounds good!
There's a difference between, say, being an AIDS denialist like Kary Mullis (worked on PCR) - and only doing a subsection of the research needed on Lyme disease and fall short of doing what's really needed to understand Lyme disease and why some people have persistent symptoms.

One can be a Nobel prize winner and still make claims which do not stand up to scrutiny; come up with hypotheses which are not well supported by the evidence. None of these questionable claims or ill-supported hypotheses invalidate their previous, prize-winning research and inventions. They each need to be evaluated and considered based on their own merits (or lack thereof).

I recognize Mullis' achievements when it comes to PCR. But I won't give him any credit and place a high value on his hypotheses about AIDS.

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Mon 7 Jul 2014 21:24

Hi Camp Other,

The purpose of my post was not to promote or defend the reputation of any person in particular; it was the subject itself, the idea, i.e. water as a possible new diagnostic tool. Although it may not specifically refer to Lyme disease, the thoughts behind this documentary and its article must at least have been related to it as they were distributed to European Lymepatients by Lyme Sans Frontieres.
It's a pity that all things and theories that cannot be scientifically 'measured' or well understood are easily classified as being 'fringe' science. Are our persisting Lyme symptoms 'fringe' symptoms'? I think this subject is at least interesting.

More about water, its suggested memory and other properties/applications:

http://humansarefree.com/2011/04/water- ... -from.html