The Hocus-Pocus of the Salt & Vitamin C Protocol

Topics with information and discussion about unconventional diagnostic and treatment methods, and unconventional views.
Martian

The Hocus-Pocus of the Salt & Vitamin C Protocol

Post by Martian » Tue 11 Sep 2007 14:10

In their quest for an effective treatment, many Lyme patients take resort to methods that have not been tested on efficacy and safety. One of those methods is the so-called "Salt & Vitamin C Protocol", which seems to be quite popular, despite the fact that the primary source of this protocol, the site http://www.lymephotos.com, contains a lot of questionable information and strange pictures, accompanied by wild speculations; and despite the fact that the authors of lymephotos.com wish to remain anonymous. When people are confronted with this, you regularly hear the argument that the site lymephotos.com must be genuine, because the authors don't sell anything. The site even has the following statement:

http://www.lymephotos.com/update.html
Lymephotos.com is not a business. It produces no, zero, zilch income and this was by design. We have no connections to, do not endorse, and do not really enjoy others trying to profit monetarily from our work. Our site exists only to inform and help. If we change our policy you will find such changes prominently and plainly stated on this site itself. And if you have any ideas for how we might alter our site to help you feel free to write!
There is another site about the Salt & Vitamin C Protocol: http://www.fettnet.com/lymestrategies/, which also has a discussion forum: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/lymestrategies/. These sites often refer to lymephotos.com.

The owner of fettnet.com is Marc Fett (AKA firefox), who gives the impression that he has no connections with lymephotos.com, but has only refined the protocol. Marc Fett seems to "profit monetarily" from the protocol, though, because people have to pay $29.95 to gain access to an "Advanced Resource Section", which includes a "How-to" eBook:
What is the Advanced Resource Section exactly?
In addition to this eBook, the Resource Section is for references, research and updates on an ongoing basis to assist in enhancing and making the research protocol the most effective possible.

What is the cost?
The cost of the Advanced Resource Section is $29.95. It is intentionally meant to be low-cost so that anyone, even those on limited funds, are able to participate and benefit. It is basically the average price of a bottle of supplements. Proceeds are intended toward organized trials of the research protocol, with the goal of getting it broadly disseminated and seriously lab-studied. To sign-up now, click here.
Also interesting is the statement that fettnet.com acts as an "interface" in forwarding the findings of lymephotos.com:
The Lymephotos site was established by private individuals who found, after a long, unsuccessful and debilitating effort at antibiotic treatment for lyme, that a particular research protocol yielded positive effect (alleviation of symptoms).

The full discussion and presentation of this protocol is given on that site and we encourage that it be read carefully in its entirety.

The individuals at that site have stated there that they have presented their findings but wish to remain anonymous. This research site acts as an "interface" in forwarding the findings, conducting further research and as a "clearinghouse" for lyme strategies in general.
Although the authors of lymephotos.com wish to remain anonymous, one of their names is mentioned several times on the "Lyme Strategies" forum: Nancy Stone, who registered lymephotos.com. In April, 2007, Marc Fett wrote in a message found on http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ly ... sage/50721:
Thought y'all might be interested in a note excerpt from one of the
Lymephotos's founders of the S/C protocol, my dear friend, Nancy
So, Nancy Stone is friends with someone who seems to profit monetarily from her work? That's odd, because the statement on lymephotos.com says: “We have no connections to, do not endorse, and do not really enjoy others trying to profit monetarily from our work”.

There has also been a Nancy Stone who posted on the newsgroup sci.psychology.psychotherapy several years ago. It could be a different person, but she started a very striking thread called "why testimonials are unreliable" in March, 1999. In her first post she wrote:
Following is an excerpt from today's listing of science results in the
news, provided by the listserv generated by Sigma Xi, the scientific
honor society. I think it illustrates the dangers of relying upon
untested remedies. It also illustrates that anything can gain
testimonial support, no matter how ineffective.

Nancy

-----------------------------------------------

VITAMIN O PRODUCTS ARE FRAUD, AGENCY SAYS
from The New York Times

The Federal Trade Commission has accused two companies of bottling salt
water, labeling it "Vitamin O" and selling it as a dietary supplement for
$10 an ounce. The agency said the companies claimed that the product would
treat cancer, high blood pressure, lung disease, headaches, infections,
colds, flu and other ailments.

In advertisements in USA Today and other newspapers, and on the Internet,
the companies -- Rose Creek Health Products Inc. and The Staff of Life Inc.,
in Kettle Falls, Wash. -- have asserted that their product "purifies your
bloodstream, maximizes nutrients, eliminates poisons and toxins."

A testimonial on the companies' Web site, supposedly from someone with lung
cancer, emphysema and heart disease, states: "Three days after starting the
Vitamin O, I threw my cane away. In November, we went to Arizona and I
bought myself a bicycle."
http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/n ... tamin.html

In her second post in the same thread she wrote:
When someone wishes to make lots of money without providing value, why
bother pouring saltwater into jars? You can make just as much money
talking without the hassle of manufacturing any product. The main
drawback is that people are more suspicious when there is nothing
concrete being given them for their money. Thus the need to invent
some hocus-pocus that will make sense unless you inspect it too
closely. You tell me why an anecdote is useless when it comes to
testing pharmaceuticals, but not when it comes to talk therapy. Do
you think people are less accurate in monitoring their physical states
than their mental ones?

Nancy
Now, doesn't that apply just perfectly to lymephotos.com and fettnet.com?!

LymeEnigma

Re: The Hocus-Pocus of the Salt & Vitamin C Protocol

Post by LymeEnigma » Sun 28 Oct 2007 19:29

I personally have found nothing valid about "Lyme photos;" I take any advice that site recommends with a grain of salt ... pun fully intended.

CaliforniaLyme

Post by CaliforniaLyme » Sat 3 Nov 2007 9:48

Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt in his 2005 hand outs from the ortho-molecular conference in SF says he uses it with all his patients to deworm them!!! (Seriously!!!) He lists the website as his reference for that practice!!!

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Sat 3 Nov 2007 17:06

Gotta love that "circular referencing"....

CaliforniaLyme

Post by CaliforniaLyme » Sat 3 Nov 2007 23:10

Yup, LymeNet is even a reference for his hand outs (hand outs to fellow doctors!!!).
And his own website is referenced several times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think Lyme photos was started by enemies of the Lyme community.
Truly!!!

Boomerang

Post by Boomerang » Mon 5 Nov 2007 5:33

Sounds like that worm travels in a circle..... ;)

Martian

Post by Martian » Thu 8 Nov 2007 15:00

Quoting source: flash.lymenet.org
Posted by hiker53 (Member # 6046) on 12 September, 2007 08:22 PM :

Salt/C does help some, but M.F. at lymestrategies is profiting. His money is not going to research as he once claimed. He now says it goes towards the time it takes for him to research and answer questions and make phone calls to help people. (and give away a few supplements). He has done no real research and the polls I posted should have ended yesterday, but I have no access to them as I am banned from the site for pointing out the dangers to some of the protocol.

If you do the vit. C /salt protocol, please ramp up slowly and have your kidney function checked as well as your blood pressure. It is not something to mess around with. Hiker53
Quoting source: flash.lymenet.org
Posted by Truthfinder (Member # 8512) on 08 November, 2007 08:14 AM :

Lisa, as Scott pointed out, the Salt/C protocol can adverseley affect some people, dangerously so.

We have at least one member here who believes she was severely damaged by this protocol, but you won't find reports of adverse events on the LymeStrategies Yahoo group (Salt/C) because the administrator of that site doesn't allow that!

Do a search here at LymeNet for Salt/C - there are have been a number of discussions about this, and you should be aware of the risks!

cave76

Post by cave76 » Thu 8 Nov 2007 15:56

:)

I find it curious and slightly amusing that the people who (correctly) warned against the Salt and C protocol are the same that will defend their own controversial theories or protocols so vehemently on that forum. (LN) :)

One was grinding up a tick for a homeopath nosode; another was a personalized nosode using their own infected blood. :roll:

Is it a case of whose ox is being gored?

For Europeans who may not be familiar with American phrases:

The gored ox problem is the problem of tolerance. We love to hear sin condemned from the pulpit, as long as our ox is not being gored, meaning that our sin is not being condemned.

Martian

Post by Martian » Thu 8 Nov 2007 16:05

cave76 wrote:I find it curious and slightly amusing that the people who (correctly) warned against the Salt and C protocol are the same that will defend their own controversial theories or protocols so vehemently on that forum. (LN) :)
Perhaps we should start topics about other often used questionable treatments as well, and collect data and reports like here with the Salt & Vitamin C "protocol". Of course there is already a "Rife Critic". ;)

cave76

Post by cave76 » Thu 8 Nov 2007 17:45

*****Perhaps we should start topics about other often used questionable treatments as well, and collect data and reports like here with the Salt & Vitamin C "protocol". Of course there is already a "Rife Critic*****

Oh, do NOT turn me loose with that!!!! :D:D

Oh, and those web sites that are SO common and attract SO many naifs or delusion prone people. :ugeek: