The Hocus-Pocus of the Salt & Vitamin C Protocol

Topics with information and discussion about unconventional diagnostic and treatment methods, and unconventional views.
rlstanley

Re: The Hocus-Pocus of the Salt & Vitamin C Protocol

Post by rlstanley » Tue 11 Jan 2011 3:57

Excerpts from: http://lymeblog.com/modules.php?name=Ne ... e&sid=1242

What's with this salt/Vitamin C Lyme disease cure?
XY wrote: What I've been finding is the use of large amounts of salt and Vitamin C will cure lyme [sic] disease. Is this true? Here is a report that I bought for $30.00. (30 page e-report attached)

AB wrote:…would appreciate it if you could go into this salt cure…tired of hearing I must try something or I can’t comment on it… Thanks.
The short answer is taking large amounts of salt and Vitamin C will not cure Lyme disease. Doing so can even be harmful. And yes, there are sites, testimonials and books that promote and enable this so-called ‘cure’ or protocol.

No, you don’t have to try something to discuss or heartily debate it or to try to get legitimate answers. The common ploy of “don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it” is a tiresome hustle to discourage critique and common sense.
The ball is ALWAYS in the court of anyone who is trying to make you do something, sell you something. Someone may have the effrontery, but never any authority, to silence you especially about your health care. Sites that discourage intelligent discussion, delete posts, use ploys to control and convince, employ long pseudoscience posts, or don’t address adverse health consequences are the domains of very questionable health advice.

Visit the original site http://www.lymephotos.com/ where all the salt/ Vitamin C hoopla started. Sadly, it has always looked like a very sick Internet joke to me—an encouragement, even—to delusional thinking. Beyond the strange precept that Lyme patients are full of worms and parasites—backed by odd photos—one concept after another is not only beyond reason but smacks of a perverted sense of humor, such as:

Cows somehow avoid getting Lyme disease because of their love for salt.

Slugs are killed when salt is put on them; this same idea can be applied to killing internal parasites and worms in the human body.

The treated person will feel—but not see—parasites or worms coming out of his body.

The anonymous author describes worms coming out of his ears and head.
There is more of course, but beyond the physiological implausibility of the claims and the fantastical musings, the author irresponsibly encourages a potentially harmful treatment to children, the elderly and those of unknown medical status.

One may argue you can do anything you want to your own body. Fine. But submitting children, the elderly and other dependents with no real say in the matter to something like this is unconscionable. In fact, feeding salt to children to the point of illness has occurred in cases of Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

The e-pamphlet (30 pages) sent to me didn’t bother with the worm concept—perhaps it was too difficult to justify or it was simply too much even for the author. However, he does mention how salt “ruptures” Borrelia, using “science-speak”. The explanation falls under the “if you can’t convince ‘em, confuse ‘em” category and could be viewed as a classic example of pseudoscience, mixing fact, fancy words, and fantasy to come to a fantastical conclusion.

Even if you do not understand basic electrolyte balance in the body—how the body regulates sodium chloride and other ionic substances—the author’s basic conjecture is easily questioned anyway: why do Lyme spirochetes ‘rupture’ yet no other cells in the body do the same?

Electrolyte balance which includes the body’s regulation of sodium is not simple and involves organs such as the kidneys, lungs, adrenals. An increase in sodium intake will result in the body immediately working at normalizing sodium by a number of mechanisms. No pockets of sodium are going to exist where Borrelia hide anyway to cause any “ruptures”.

If you feel it is magical and works anyway. Fine, stick with that.

Illnesses can happen, of course, from electrolyte imbalances or electrolyte imbalances can occur in certain diseases. Acute situations, such as vomiting, diarrhea, profuse sweating and chronic problems (e.g. hormone imbalances) are simple examples of where this can occur. Drugs, including diuretics, specific antidepressants (SSRI’s), and some anticonvulsants can also cause problems.

If you suspect you have an electrolyte imbalance, see a physician who should evaluate you thoroughly and should include checking the medicines and supplements you are taking. Check the adverse reactions of your medications as a possible cause while you are at it. This kind of stuff is too complex to fool around with. Chugging salt is not the answer....

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Wed 17 Apr 2013 23:54

Well, this 'protocol' is yet another LymeLand winner that's been around now, what, over 6 years?

Nunc est bibendum

Camp Other

Post by Camp Other » Thu 18 Apr 2013 1:06

rlstanley wrote:.

Well, this 'protocol' is yet another LymeLand winner that's been around now, what, over 6 years?

Nunc est bibendum

The question is why? Phyllis Mervine has warned patients about how risky it is and mentioned patients who have been harmed by it. I think other advocates have also warned patients about it. You would think patients would listen to them if no one else?

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Thu 18 Apr 2013 2:57

Camp Other wrote:

Nunc est bibendum

The question is why? Phyllis Mervine has warned patients about how risky it is and mentioned patients who have been harmed by it. I think other advocates have also warned patients about it. You would think patients would listen to them if no one else?
Oh, come on. Look at all the bloggers and LymeLand gurus and "ll practitioners" who promote this crap. And it was (or is) one of those "Top 10 Lyme Disease Treatments", isn't it?

Read on to see what everyone has to say: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... 7Nno&pbx=1

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Thu 18 Apr 2013 3:19

I remember when these Salt and Vitamin C threads dominated the Medical forum at Lymenet USA for months, and a particular poster there, joined by a handful of others, was allowed to promote it on nearly every new thread and to every new member looking for help and guidance. People who made fun of or questioned this asinine protocol were warned by admin to knock off their trouble making, found their posts deleted, and even banned. The promotion of this protocol ran in tandem with all these deworming posts with descriptions of worms exiting pores, every orifice imaginable including tear ducts, it was truly insane and appalling.

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Thu 18 Apr 2013 3:35

Claudia wrote:I remember when these Salt and Vitamin C threads dominated the Medical forum at Lymenet USA for months, and a particular poster there, joined by a handful of others, was allowed to promote it on nearly every new thread and to every new member looking for help and guidance. People who made fun of or questioned this asinine protocol were warned by admin to knock off their trouble making, found their posts deleted, and even banned. The promotion of this protocol ran in tandem with all these deworming posts with descriptions of worms exiting pores, every orifice imaginable including tear ducts, it was truly insane and appalling.
Yup.

The only warnings that were made 'back in the day' were made by those of us who were considered pariahs and damned to hell which is the SOP and SOS in LymeLand.

But, hey, it lives on!!

And if this crap lives on, why does anyone think LL is anything but FUBAR?

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Thu 18 Apr 2013 3:52

Oh, yeah. It hasn't been stopped and is still going on over there. Here are just a couple of their posts from the last couple of days:
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556
posted 04-15-2013 03:00 PM

Herbs and salt/c got rid of my SEVERE asthma I had for over 40 yrs. Of course, I did a lot of herbs and high dose salt/c. When the parasites exited my G. I. track, my asthma went away. You have to be very aggressive with tx.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*
Someone started a thread that they felt suicidal. Here's their response on that thread:
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556
posted 04-11-2013 07:18 PM

Messa,

I totally agree with Tammy about going after parasites!!! When I did with salt/c and antiparasitic herbs I had a mass exodus.

Google parasite symptoms and you will see blood in stools is very symptomatic of a parasite infection. Try and stay calm and focused if you can. I know...not easy.

Sending you many prayers and healing thoughts.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Thu 18 Apr 2013 3:57

Claudia: Oh, yeah. It hasn't been stopped and is still going on over there. Here are just a couple of her posts from the last couple of days: ...
So, Claudia, how does LN handle people who dare question or warn others about this garbage? Are they allowed now to do that and not called names or deleted? I mean, now that there are some warnings out there by people that 'should' be listened to--not the lowlifes from back in the day--is it OK?

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Thu 18 Apr 2013 4:01

I can't answer that, Rita. I haven't visited LNUSA in years, just went there now and pulled a search to see if this member glm1111 was still posting this crap -- and that was found to be a big affirmative.

Camp Other

Post by Camp Other » Thu 18 Apr 2013 5:01

Claudia: Oh, yeah. It hasn't been stopped and is still going on over there. Here are just a couple of her posts from the last couple of days: ...
So, Claudia, how does LN handle people who dare question or warn others about this garbage? Are they allowed now to do that and not called names or deleted? I mean, now that there are some warnings out there by people that 'should' be listened to--not the lowlifes from back in the day--is it OK?

Probably like me they are banned. Sooner or later.