Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Topics with information and discussion about unconventional diagnostic and treatment methods, and unconventional views.
ChronicLyme19

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Tue 2 Feb 2016 5:50

Right now I'm reading a book called Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden. It goes over the difference between adrenal induced PCOS and ovarian/insulin resistance induced PCOS, and then other causes of high androgens and hormone anomalies like illness, functional hypothalamic amenorrhea,and endometriosis etc.

The reason I'm listing it here is often times people with chronic illness or chronic Lyme develop thyroid/hormone/adrenal issues and this book goes over several different herbs that can be effective in treating hormone imbalances and deficiencies (vitex/peony/licorice/ashwagandha). Do you really have PCOS, or do you have PCOS symptoms that are being cause by adrenal/thyroid issues from Lyme?

The part I really like is that it doesn't just tell you what to take for a certain deficiency or imbalance, it explains a bit about what the herbs are actually doing, for example, vitex works by changing your prolactin secretion from your pituitary. So then if you have your thyroid levels, adrenals, and hormone levels measured by your doctor and you see which ones are off, then you have a decent chance at picking the right herbs that could bring things back in balance. Pretty much all the herbs recommended are just temporary treatments to get your body in balance and get things kick started, so that you don't have to continue taking them long term. It also explains why some of the conventional prescription medications can actually make certain things worse, or cause you to be stuck on them forever just treating symptoms instead of treating the root cause.

The author also has a blog here that is pretty good as well: http://www.larabriden.com/
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?