What is science? What is medical? PubMed stuff all science?

Here you can give feedback about (the working of) this board, like problems, questions, remarks, suggestions and praise.
admin
Site Admin

What is science? What is medical? PubMed stuff all science?

Post by admin » Mon 18 Aug 2008 17:17

Regarding choosing where to post topics at LNE:

I know there can sometimes be doubt where to start a topic, e.g. because a topic may not be purely scientific or medical. But, is my perception of "science" and "medical" wrong or what?

"Medical", that's everything that has to do with prevention, diagnosis, treatment of illness, etc. right? And medical publications like those you can find in PubMed are science, right? I thought there need not be any doubt about that. Of course it is also medical, but I created the "science"-forum to make a distinction between scientific and non-scientific.

Hence, the forum description of "Medical":
Medical topics related to Lyme disease that do not fit in the section "Science", with information about the diagnosis, treatment, etc.
Note: of course this doesn't mean that one can't reply e.g. with a PubMed abstract to a thread started in "Medical". It is the content of the starting post and the intention of its poster that matters.

And I thought the description of the "science"-forum was also clear:
Scientific topics related to Lyme disease, like (peer-reviewed) scientific medical publications and articles supported by such publications.
So, should there be any doubt that PubMed abstracts (and/or the full-text or quotes from the full-text), with subjects related to Lyme disease (Borrelia and other TBI) belong in "science"?

I created "general" for non-science and non-medical topics, or it least where science/medicine is not the main topic, like the topic "The Dr. Jones Defense Fund". But I often see what in my perception are purely medical topics started in "general", and also topics that seem to fit perfectly in "science".

Members of LNE, what do you think about all this?

BTW: although I think the number of forum categories should be as low as possible, I am thinking about creating a new forum for discussing people, organizations, websites, books, etc. in Lymeland, because this is such a major activity on LNE. Then I can put all those existing topics about Tincup, Scott F., lymenet.org, etc. also there. What do you think about THAT?

cave76

Re: What is science? What is medical? PubMed stuff all science?

Post by cave76 » Mon 18 Aug 2008 18:05

I agree with the fewer categories the better.

Admin said:
discussing people, organizations, websites, books, etc. in Lymeland, because this is such a major activity on LNE. Then I can put all those existing topics about Tincup, Scott F., lymenet.org, etc. also there. W
Good idea. Those topics may not satisfy the purist in some people's minds, but we are but human. :)
And I think that the topics that 'expose' are important, even though it may seem like 'bashing' DO offer information that isn't seen elsewhere. LNE provide sa good counterpoint to some of the outrageous claims that are out there and if LNusa seems to bear the brunt?????......... well, it does lend itself to exposure.

So, my vote is yes for a separate forum for that. Hope I can keep to the restriction. LOL

Science/medical. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding. They do seem to overlap sometimes.
As do other forums. And then they can 'morph' into something else, to your dismay, but overall I get something from each forum, placed properly or not.

(What I do is to click on View Active Topics each time, so I'm often not even aware of which forum I'm reading in. And it doesn't detract from the content of the post at all, at least to me.)

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne » Mon 18 Aug 2008 19:24

I still find it difficult to decide where to post something, even if you've already try to explain it several times.

Now with the above explanation I see I did a lot wrong again :oops:

BTW: although I think the number of forum categories should be as low as possible, I am thinking about creating a new forum for discussing people, organizations, websites, books, etc. in Lymeland, because this is such a major activity on LNE. Then I can put all those existing topics about Tincup, Scott F., lymenet.org, etc. also there. What do you think about THAT?
I think it is a good idea.
Listen to all,
plucking a feather from every passing goose,
but follow no one absolutely

cave76

Post by cave76 » Mon 18 Aug 2008 19:32

yvonne said:
I still find it difficult to decide where to post something, even if you've already try to explain it several times.
So it ISN'T just a language difference! :bonk:

cave76

Post by cave76 » Mon 18 Aug 2008 19:35

O.K.---- While it's still fresh in my mind----- as I looked further down the Active Topics, I see I posted something in Unconventional that was both 'unconventional' AND about a person (no name) on LNusa.

Where would THAT go? And I'm not thinking of double posting. <g>

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne » Mon 18 Aug 2008 19:50

All Pubmed things belong in science. But all the other articles with references, how do you know were they belong ?

For example I want to post this article now http://www.ecostudies.org/reprints/Brisson_2007.pdf

and I would choose to post that in General. Is that the right thing to do ?
Listen to all,

Joe Ham

Post by Joe Ham » Tue 19 Aug 2008 4:38

Yvonne, you already posted that paper last Feb.
http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... 768&p=4862

You posted it to General which according to my rules was the right place. However, according to a strict interpretation of Martin's rules maybe belongs in Science because it was catalogued by PubMed.

Some of the articles on PubMed are about treatments, which I would think belong in Medical so the differentiation can get rather foggy. Nevertheless, this board is so far ahead of all the other sloppy boards that posting to the wrong board here is not a problem yet. (With the possible exception of Fin's latest post which should have been in Unconventional instead Medical).

We should of course try to follow Martin's guidance on what content to post where but if we make a mistake, by for example posting to Medical when it should have been Science, it won't be a disaster. That's because Martin has grouped the 'hard science' boards under Information & Discussion so a search there will automatically search Science, Medical and General by default. So please don't hesitate to post because you are not sure which sub board is the most appropriate; just keep posting all the good stuff you find.

BTW, now that the PDF of that paper is freely available you might want to edit your posting at the link above to include that url. Oh, I see you already have posted it -- never mind.

Thanks for all that you do here Yvonne, and please keep on doing what you do so well.

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne » Tue 19 Aug 2008 11:33

Joe Ham wrote:
Yvonne, you already posted that paper last Feb.

Some of the articles on PubMed are about treatments, which I would think belong in Medical so the differentiation can get rather foggy.
Yes, I agree. And what about the articles about animals on PubMed that I posted most of the time in General ?

Image Martian.

Thanks for all that you do here Yvonne, and please keep on doing what you do so well.
Image Joe.

But I think that we all together doing well here.
Listen to all,

cave76

Post by cave76 » Tue 19 Aug 2008 17:44

Hoe Jam said:
We should of course try to follow Martin's guidance on what content to post where but if we make a mistake, by for example posting to Medical when it should have been Science, it won't be a disaster.
Absolutely.

1. Try to follow guidance

2. Not try to consider it a disaster

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Tue 19 Aug 2008 21:10

admin wrote:BTW: although I think the number of forum categories should be as low as possible, I am thinking about creating a new forum for discussing people, organizations, websites, books, etc. in Lymeland, because this is such a major activity on LNE. Then I can put all those existing topics about Tincup, Scott F., lymenet.org, etc. also there. What do you think about THAT?
I have always felt that the Lyme Cafe served as a decent spot for all of that, but perhaps you wanted to keep the cafe a "calm and serene" place? ;)

Editing to add: The Lyme Enigma has a "Cheers and Jeers" board, if you wanted to steal that idea. 8-)