"Edit" question

Here you can give feedback about (the working of) this board, like problems, questions, remarks, suggestions and praise.
cave76

"Edit" question

Post by cave76 » Mon 16 Feb 2009 16:28

I just noticed (duh) that any edits made are now (recently?) not being noted on the post that's edited.

I'm not saying that's a 'bad' thing. Just curious why it was changed. Curiosity only.

[I'm asking in this forum since I'm sure others have noticed and wondered also and would be interested in the reply.]

Thank you.
Thank you.
Last edited by cave76 on Mon 16 Feb 2009 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: "Edit" question

Post by admin » Mon 16 Feb 2009 17:21

cave76 wrote:I just noticed (duh) that any edits made are now (recently?) not being noted on the post that's edited.
You are probably mistaken.

Quote from the FAQ: http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/faq.php
How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own digression. Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.
But to test this and be sure, please edit your first post of this thread.

21:25 UTC+1: test admin editing own post without edit reason

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Mon 16 Feb 2009 20:17

I am more confused by
it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post
here is a paste from my recent thread on cyberfraud:
Last edited by admin on Sun 15 Feb 2009 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a paragraph that was not in compliance with the LNE Terms of use and/or forum rules.
AND there was no other posted replies on that thread either so what of this?
This will only appear if someone has made a reply
----------------------------------------------
My questions are:
when will those notes appear, will they always show numbers of edits ?

there is conflicting information and results,( some edited posts dont even show the number of times even when a poster has replied after the thread start) and since this forum's admin has stated many times that he didnt want to repeat other site's habits of not having accountability for content disappearing....we all need to know what to expect

thank you!!!!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon 16 Feb 2009 21:39

Fin24 wrote:when will those notes appear, will they always show numbers of edits ?
If a standard user edits his/her posts it will only show the edit note if he/she edits a post that is no longer the last post of a thread. It should always show the number of edits.

The exception is if a moderator/administrator edits his/her own or someone else's post. In that case the edit note will only appear if the moderator/administrator enters an edit reason.

Adding later:

BTW: note that only moderators/administrators can enter an edit reason into a special field. Standard users have to enter edit reasons into the post message text field itself.
Last edited by admin on Mon 16 Feb 2009 21:48, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added a line.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Mon 16 Feb 2009 21:41

thank you VERY much that makes it much clearer...for me anyway