Prof Morten M. Laanes paper is out - detection method

Topics with information and discussion about published studies related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
X-member

Re: Prof Morten M. Laanes paper is out - detection method

Post by X-member » Wed 13 Apr 2016 1:34

From RR:s blog (posted earlier in this thread by WillemT):

A quote (Ram Dessau, Denmark):
The background for the study by Laane and Mysterud is a speculative theory that morphological variants of microorganisms play a role in otherwise unexplained persisting symptoms. The literature does not support any causal relationship.
http://rel-risk.blogspot.se/2016/04/ste ... scope.html

I don't get it. The only "study" I know of, is FHI:s (Institute of Public Health) study. And this "study" was not about (quote): "a speculative theory that morphological variants play a role in otherwise unexplained persisting symptoms".

Edit to add:

And I think that people who claim that morphological variants don't play a roll in an active borrelia infection should do more studies of the borrelia bacteria in a microscope*.

*Which is allowed in many countries. :)

X-member

Post by X-member » Wed 13 Apr 2016 2:48

More from RR:s blog:
In conclusion, Aase et al. should be recommended for their effort to falsify inappropriate microscopy. The study shows the fundamental importance of a control group for evaluation of diagnostic accuracy and that cases with disease should be selected according to appropriate case definitions.
http://rel-risk.blogspot.se/2016/04/ste ... scope.html

If the patient group really had an active (late) borrelia infection, then how is this explained?:
PCR analysis detected Borrelia DNA in one sample of the patient group and in eight samples of the control group...
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3 ... ode=infd20

Did they (FHI) mix up the groups?

I have actually started to call this a "FHI-validation".

Martian

Post by Martian » Sat 2 Jul 2016 1:31

The link to the study published at biomedicalreports.org in the first post doesn't work for me, at least not today. I also noticed that nobody bothered to post the abstract. Lastly, the study cannot be found in PubMed.

The full text PDF is available here: http://counsellingme.com/microscopy/Mys ... dLaane.pdf

Abstract:
Biological and Biomedical Reports, 2013, 3(1), 15 -28

Research Article

A simple method for the detection of live Borrelia spirochaetes in human blood using classical microscopy techniques

Morten M. Laane [1], Ivar Mysterud [2],*

1. Department of Molecular Biosciences, University of Oslo, P.O. Box 1041 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
2. Department of Biology, University of Oslo, P.O. Box 1066 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
Corresponding author*: ivar.mysterud@bio.uio.no

ABSTRACT

We have developed a simple method for the detection of live spirochaete stages in blood of patients where chronic borreliosis is suspected. Classic techniques involving phase-contrast and fluorescence microscopy are used. The method is also quite sensitive for detecting other bacteria, protists, fungi and other organisms present in blood samples. It is also useful for monitoring the effects of various antibiotics during treatment. We also present a simple hypothesis for explaining the confusion generated through the interpretation of possible stages of Borrelia seen in human blood. We hypothesize that these various stages in the blood stream are derived from secondarily infected tissues and biofilms in the body with low oxygen concentrations. Motile stages transform rapidly into cysts or sometimes penetrate other blood cells including red blood cells (RBCs). The latter are ideal hiding places for less motile stages that take advantage of the host’s RBCs blebbing-system. Less motile, morphologically different stages may be passively ejected in the blood plasma from the blebbing RBCs, more or less coated with the host’s membrane proteins which prevents detection by immunological methods.

Keywords: spirochaetes; Lyme disease; Borrelia; borreliosis; microscopical detection method; human blood
Also see LNE topic Validate or falsify: Lessons learned from microscopy method claimed to be useful for detecting Borrelia and Babesia (1 Jul 2016), which is about a study that checked the value of the method of Laane and Mysterud.