CDC and Fry Lab blood smear--weird info!

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
hiker53

CDC and Fry Lab blood smear--weird info!

Post by hiker53 » Tue 29 Jul 2008 1:51

I and another person who had a blood smear from Fry that showed a photograph of bacteria attached to red blood cells and said suggestive of hemobart/mycoplasma wrote the CDC. They wrote back to both of us that the so called bacteria could be stain artifacts or parts of red blood cells. "If this were some kind of bacteria, to see this many in a peripheral blood smear imply a staggering high bactereimia(the patient would likely be moribund or dead)...."

They basically implied this lab was not accurate and was into making money.

What was also interesting is that we are the only two that seemed to have contacted the CDC. "You are the second person to contact us regarding the bacteria thought to be seen in the photo." So, has Fry lab not contacted the CDC and sent smears to them? What is going on?

I do not know what to think now!! HIker53
Last edited by hiker53 on Tue 29 Jul 2008 5:08, edited 1 time in total.

cave76

Re: CDC and Fry Lab blood smear--scam?

Post by cave76 » Tue 29 Jul 2008 3:16

I don't even have a clue, but you might write to a laboratorian with a good rep. and see what they say .

I don't know if Nick Harris would fit the bill? ( Might be a little 'conflict' there <g>)

Louis Magnarelli (has that New Haven tag, but I think he might answer your question)

LymeEnigma

Re: CDC and Fry Lab blood smear--weird info!

Post by LymeEnigma » Tue 29 Jul 2008 6:12

hiker53 wrote:What was also interesting is that we are the only two that seemed to have contacted the CDC. "You are the second person to contact us regarding the bacteria thought to be seen in the photo." So, has Fry lab not contacted the CDC and sent smears to them? What is going on?
Interesting....

itsy

Post by itsy » Tue 29 Jul 2008 15:58

Do we KNOW this, or is this speculation?

Just because the CDC isn't saying so either way doesn't mean it is true. In government, the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing.

Heck, that happens in private companies.

It seems it was clear that they didn't KNOW whether it was stain, only that you should be dead with a bacterial load like that. How can a statement like that be made without knowing? I should be dead several times over. Do you know how much bacteria is in your eyelashes? Or your mouth?

They cannot know that without studying it. There is no scientifical way to know that. I continue to reserve judgement on this until we know more.

hiker53

Post by hiker53 » Tue 29 Jul 2008 16:47

I contacted Dr. M from Ct and unfortanately he did not know what the "bacteria" were, either. But thanks for the idea, Cave. He suggested a DNA analysis, which Fry Labs is doing and even better using an electron microscope.

Meanwhile I am being slaughtered for posting on lymenet USA that I contacted the CDC. They are missing the point that we if don't keep getting the CDC involved and educated they will never get it right about lyme disease. I thought if everyone who got a positive smear sent their picture to the CDC, maybe the CDC would take it seriously, but no one is going to do that. But they can go to their political rallies and wave signs and protest to the government, but when I try to do something I think is right, I get slammed. Hiker53

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Tue 29 Jul 2008 17:05

Good that you are working on this.

But I would have further analyses done by different labs. Why not contact someone in a Microbiology Dept at a University? See what they have to say. They might enjoy looking at this. Or ask someone there what lab they would recommend.

I would trust an independent source on this. Might be wise to step outside of LymeLand knee jerk recommendations on this one.

Rita

itsy

Post by itsy » Tue 29 Jul 2008 17:09

Hiker, and please do not take my comments as negative towards you.

Its not at all. I just wonder how the CDC...or other organization can make such statements. I don't think either side has any clue what they are doing sometimes.

I AM glad you are looking into it, and I am sorry that I didn't come out and say that before. I am sorry if I sounded harsh. Its not you, OK?

Like I said, I reserve judgement for now...but I sure hope you give us something by going through this!!

kelmo

Post by kelmo » Tue 29 Jul 2008 18:39

Hiker wrote:
Meanwhile I am being slaughtered for posting on lymenet USA that I contacted the CDC. They are missing the point that we if don't keep getting the CDC involved and educated they will never get it right about lyme disease. I thought if everyone who got a positive smear sent their picture to the CDC, maybe the CDC would take it seriously, but no one is going to do that. But they can go to their political rallies and wave signs and protest to the government, but when I try to do something I think is right, I get slammed.
I'm sure it seems like you were getting slammed, especially since you feel you were posting something that would be helpful to all of us.

However, if you took an objective look at the subject title and first post, it would seem that you are questioning the validity of Fry labs and seeking for it to be shut down. That was my gut reaction, anyway, which is why I became defensive.

Now that you have explained a little more, I can see your motive.

As far as slammed, I think other's reactions were the same as mine. They know the way the government works, and if not handled the right way, could come back to bite the hiney. The thought of losing the lab may have caused a knee jerk reaction.

So, your efforts and concerns are wonderful. Maybe we just need to take a breath and figure out what the best course of action is so that we can all win.

I've watched Dr. F build this lab, and listened to him as he tries to put the pieces together. To see it come crashing down, albiet with good intentions, would be a tragic loss. I have a lot at stake...my daughter.

I was getting ready to write him a letter so he would have a heads up in case the government came to seal up the lab. That's how scared I was.

Kelmo

cave76

Post by cave76 » Tue 29 Jul 2008 19:05

kelmo said, to hiker:
Now that you have explained a little more, I can see your motive.
Just as with business: Location Location Location

Email, forums it's: Communication Communication Communication :)

It's tough via email. I think most of us read not with our eyes, so much, but with where our minds are that minute.

I always liked this quote:
All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last.
-Marcel Proust
First heard that when the conversation was about marriage. LOL

Glad this is cleared up------- I read the posts on LNusa and there were obvious misunderstandings and knee jerk reactions. Not that I ever do that, mind! :bonk:

hanegalen

Post by hanegalen » Tue 29 Jul 2008 19:28

I have tried to get a qualified interpretation/recognition of my smear.Not only because that would be a precondition for having treatment myself- but also because it would be a help to everybody if the medical community outside Lyme-circles took an interest and could help in finding out about treament etc.
So far I have had a Pcr for mycoplasma and a general Pcr for pathogenes made by the central lab in my country based on the smear photo.I dont think that would have been possible unless the pros thought the smear might show something worth the while.
Also, I have had a pcr for pathognes in a renowned uni.lab.Unfortunately all negative- meaning that the bug is still unidentified.I have chosen to see it like that- and not that it is a proof that the the dots in the smears are pollution or whatever.(although it can not be ruled out completely,unfortunately.)(And, of course I have reported the lab findings to Fry,in order to help them in their work)I take it for granted that Fry must have made control tests with clinically healthy persons- if not ,its quite a different story, of course.
I find cdc`s reaction telling.Simply not good enough.
There have been strong reactions against hiker53 in Lymenet.I think many more reports to the CDC might be helpful.Also any attempt from people to identify the bug.
Gale
Last edited by hanegalen on Tue 29 Jul 2008 22:58, edited 1 time in total.