CDC and Fry Lab blood smear--weird info!

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
rlstanley

Re: CDC and Fry Lab blood smear--weird info!

Post by rlstanley » Wed 30 Jul 2008 16:18

hiker wrote:
Spoke to Dr. Fry himself who said it was a mycoplasma and that within a month or two the lab should have the right protocol to determine what it is. I don't quite understand that. He has not reported it to the CDC he said because it is not required to report hemobart or mycoplasma.
Are people who pay for these labs considered research subjects? Are people being treated based on this lab's results?

Have these Fry lab tests been validated by any other labs?

Are there published results in a credible journal concerning the techniques and results coming from this lab?

Why is this lab considered so good?

I'm skeptical about this. Show me the data to validate the lab's findings.

Rita

hiker53

Post by hiker53 » Wed 30 Jul 2008 17:50

The blood smear is about $300. Some people with lyme report their smear came back negative. I assume Dr. Fry has tested people without lyme or symptoms of any illness if he is researching this.

Would someone like to call and ask. I have called the lab several times and also talked to Dr. Fry, but Dr. Fry talked very fast and I did not have all my questions ready and I have thought of new ones, since.

Ex: Have they used an electron microscope?

Kelmo: You did not get to read my pm hate mail I got.

itsy

Post by itsy » Wed 30 Jul 2008 18:44

I know it sounds funny...but I am pretty sure I wasn't reinfected. I would have been WAY WAY worse and not functioned as well as I did or for as long had i contracted any co-infections other than the mycoplasm pnemonia, which I think was community aquired in 87.

I do not test postive for anything else.

So, $300?

Anyone got a cookie jar?

hanegalen

Post by hanegalen » Wed 30 Jul 2008 19:25

p.s.
Also had a smear made with a negative result.Was not surprising for the professor in case it was mycoplasma/haemobart.They would find it with PCR- but not in smears.
Fry might have found an improved technique.
???
Yours Gale

kelmo

Post by kelmo » Wed 30 Jul 2008 20:33

NO!

itsy

Post by itsy » Wed 30 Jul 2008 20:49

Gale,

You know that's going to happen when you stick your neck out for the truth. As with Kelmo, because this doc is instrumental in her life, she is going to definately be protective. I completely understand that. And I think Kelmo has done a good job taking her stance on this and remaining calm and kind. So, kudos to BOTH of you for the way you are handling this.

In fact, I like a lot of what she says about this doctor.

It will be a while before I go to my llmd, September I think, but I will look into this. I doubt I can afford it right now, though. I'm a little strapped.

I try to keep an open mind about this, because anything new in medicine is always always met with resistence. However, part of the scientific validity process is that the results can be reproduced. He may be doing somehting different in his lab with the chemicals he uses and so forth, I just do not know. I do really want to see for myself. If I came up positive, I think it would make me skeptical.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Wed 30 Jul 2008 20:52

Hiker said:
We have a thread going here that itsy started. You can post it there. Or not, according to your personality.

For myself, I won't 'protect' people with anonymity who won't call me a so-and-so in public. Let's ALL share the wealth. :)

itsy

Post by itsy » Wed 30 Jul 2008 21:19

Cavey...

Brilliant! I'd forgotten.

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... f=8&t=1493

And, as you may notice, the harrasser in my case, is gone. I was very mean, but it was very effective. Cannot have people coming in and PMing newbies with hateful stuff.

hiker53

Post by hiker53 » Wed 30 Jul 2008 21:59

I did a little more investigating today and called the University of Agriculture Office. A professor kindly agreed to look at my smear photo and see what he thought of it. He deals with nonhuman mycoplasma, but said he would make an exception for me.

He also said that a PCR test would immediately determine if it is mycoplasma even if the kind is not known, yet.

Kelmo, perhaps you can help out by asking Dr. Fry is PCR has actually determined that it is a mycoplasma. I was very unclear about his response when I spoke to him, but did not want to press too hard as he was very kind and did return my phone call.

Hiker53

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Wed 30 Jul 2008 22:18

Hiker, have I ever told you before that YOU ROCK?! ;)