clarithromycin and hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
OEmunuc

clarithromycin and hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)

Post by OEmunuc » Mon 5 Jul 2010 15:02

Hello,

This is my first post. I was switched to a different anti-biotic regimen almost four weeks ago to treat chronic Lyme disease (neuroborreliosis): clarithromycin and hydroxychloroquine. I haven't been feeling as well since, having more fatigue, itchy skin, lightheadedness and myoclonus. As these symptoms are not new, I first thought that it was a positive sign that the new regimen was being effective. Now, however, I am beginning to wonder if the increase in symptoms is a side effect of the drugs. Under the previous pulse regimen (amoxicillin, azythromycin, tinidazole) I had made steady progress, though had appeared to reach a plateau in terms of a full recovery. I was wondering if others have experienced problems with clarithromycin and hydroxychloroquine.

Chris

Martian

Re: clarithromycin and hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)

Post by Martian » Mon 5 Jul 2010 16:41

Hi Chris, welcome to this forum.

Of course it is hard to say what the cause is of the increase of symptoms. But I remember I was also feeling a bit worse in the first weeks after I had started taking clarithromycin and hydroxychloroquine. I think I also felt more fatigue and light-headed, and had more cramps and twitching in muscles, and more heart complaints. I had an odd sensation in my head. After several weeks all this got better and I also noticed an improvement in dizziness and imbalance while walking.

OEmunuc

Post by OEmunuc » Mon 5 Jul 2010 17:02

Thank you Martian. Your experience sounds similar. I will be speaking to my General Practitioner (local doctor) on Thursday about the treatment, but I won't get to speak to the Lyme consultant until the end of the month. As you say, it's difficult to know what the cause is of the increase of symptoms, so I don't want to prematurely stop the treatment, in case it is a J-Herxheimer reaction. Did your 'odd sensation' in your head feel like a drifting consciousness? Or something else? I get 'electric' myoclonus (muscle jerks); sometimes this takes the form of a sudden, initially painful, shock inside my head. This leaves me feeling spaced-out for quite a while, or fuzzy-headed. I would be interested to know if you've had anything skin to this.

Thanks again.

Chris

Dr Googlittle

Post by Dr Googlittle » Mon 5 Jul 2010 17:23

Hi,
Less common side-effects of Clarithomycin ellegeably includes headaches, dizziness/motion sickness, rashes, alteration in senses of smell and taste, including a metallic taste.

But Hydrochloroquinine is not entirely without neurological side effects in my experience, tinnitus becomes more pronounced and it doesn't do miracles for paresthesias either.

I'm currently on Methrodinazole i.v. 500+500 BID, Doxycyline i.v. 500, Azitromyzine p.o. 500, Minocycline p.o. 100 and Hydrochloquinine p.o. 200mg

Meth is worst, I had to stop after three days last time due to signs of peripheral neuropathy. Will be interesting to se for how long I can hold it this time . 8-)
Best regards,
DrG
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nunc cognosco ex parte

LymeH

Post by LymeH » Mon 5 Jul 2010 20:00

Dr Googlittle wrote:I'm currently on Methrodinazole i.v. 500+500 BID, Doxycyline i.v. 500, Azitromyzine p.o. 500, Minocycline p.o. 100 and Hydrochloquinine p.o. 200mg
Am I correct in understanding that you are taking these medications each and every day?

DrGooglittle are you a physician or medical professional?

Dr Googlittle

Post by Dr Googlittle » Tue 6 Jul 2010 23:09

Hi,

Only for three weeks, then 3-4 months of abstinence to monitor time to a possible relapse. If it's Lyme then I should relapse towards the end of that time-frame, partly based on previous experiences with Ceftriaxone and according the litterature research I've done.

If experience a relapse earlier on these non-cefalosporin ab's, then I recon that the obvious positive effects I have experienced so far are mainly due to anti-noiciceptive effects and I then have to revert to Ceftriaxone to see if I can repeat the 3,5 mo complete neurological health experience.

But then I might have a bigger problem, since one of the two other main effects of Ceftriaxone (besides the antimicrobiocidal one) is to increase the ability for neurons to release excess glutamate :(

But I had to scale down on the metro since I experience adverse side effects in the form of increased paresthesias and burning footsoles...peripheral neuropathy, don't like it.

Nope, nope not MD, but PhD :geek:

BTW, if you think I'm taking a heavy combo, then you should meet the guys sitting next to me in the i.v.-clinic - and they don't plan to risk to suffer any signs of absinence either :D
Best regards,
DrG
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nunc cognosco ex parte

X-member

Post by X-member » Sat 10 Jul 2010 14:14

Dr Googlittle, you wrote:
"I'm currently on Methrodinazole i.v. 500+500 BID, Doxycyline i.v. 500, Azitromyzine p.o. 500, Minocycline p.o. 100 and Hydrochloquinine p.o. 200mg"
Who prescribed this?

Is it a LLMD, or someone else?

FunkOdyssey

Post by FunkOdyssey » Sat 10 Jul 2010 19:47

Whats the rationale on the combination of low dose minocycline with the IV doxycycline? And why's the doxycycline being administered IV? Its oral bioavailability is excellent.

Dr Googlittle

Post by Dr Googlittle » Sun 11 Jul 2010 12:08

Hi,

It is a medical doctor who is visited by many, who knows a little bit less than myself regarding the molecular basis and expressions of Lyme disease, but obviously much more when it comes to clinical practice. One unique aspect of this particular Med is that he respects the knowledge of patients-like-me and modifies the treatment accordingly.

This particular combination treatment is a regimen that has been empirically proven to help some patients in his practice and I have, so to speak, met living proof willing to testfy to that effect.

However, although I have an IgG-titer in my CSF, which formally can be considered to be indicative of an ongoing infection, I cannot exclude the possibility that it is merely a sign of a passed one, and I'm thus forced (by my symptoms) to make these human experiments on my self in order to try to exclude or support the notion of an ongoing infection - to the best of my ability.

The MD's rationale for Mincycline is that it has an even better ability than Doxycycline to penetrate fatty, neural tiussues. My rationale is that it in addtion to this is another PARP-1 inhibitor which I can add in tablet form 24/7. The reason for i.v. treatment is partly that the serum levels attainable p.o. aren't even close to those resulting from i.v. and secondly that the latter spares the GI-tract, which in some people may have difficulties coping with a combo like this, especially longer term.

The most spectacular result of this experiment so far, is that I have got pretty good reasons to suspect that my particular version of persistent Lyme disease actually can be mediated by a co-infection.

However, not by another bacterium, but rather from a virus.
Best regards,
DrG
Nunc cognosco ex parte

FunkOdyssey

Post by FunkOdyssey » Sat 17 Jul 2010 0:06

Dr Googlittle wrote:Hi,

The most spectacular result of this experiment so far, is that I have got pretty good reasons to suspect that my particular version of persistent Lyme disease actually can be mediated by a co-infection.

However, not by another bacterium, but rather from a virus.
Well that's quite a cliffhanger. Care to elaborate? :-P