clarithromycin and hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Dr Googlittle

Re: clarithromycin and hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)

Post by Dr Googlittle » Sun 18 Jul 2010 18:11

FunkOdyssey wrote: Well that's quite a cliffhanger. Care to elaborate? :-P
Hi,
I thought you'd never ask. :mrgreen: Well it turned out that after suppressing my inflammatory response with a considerable load of i.v. tetracycline derivatives, and subsequently went on to challenge my organism and my neural system im particular with i.v. Metrodinazole, I got some strange dermatologic manifestations in my face and on my left arm.

The immediate reaction from a borrelia-believer would perhaps be; "Oh, a herxheimer reaction, that's good". But these spots appeared different from impetigo etc. that you would expect from a bacterial infection. However, they were much more "spot on" to the descriptions of dematological manifestaions of herpes simplex and they also appeared neatly aligned along nerves, e.g. from my neck down to my arm and all the way to the index finger of the arm in which my neurological problems have been most pronounced.

One possible conclusion is that I may have a dissiminated HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection, which co-exists with a chronic and treatment resistent Lyme infection. However, an alternative explanation (based on the time of symtom onset and the extent of unsuccessful but 'adequate' theraphies) is that my confirmed neuroborreliosis, somehow facilitated and/or potentiated the putative HSV-infection to spread and become systemic in my peripheral nervous system.

Any which way I would like to postulate that co-infections of Lyme with pre-existent integrating DNA/RNA-viruses may be a possible cause to persistent Lyme. A dissiminated low level smoldering viral infection or possibly dissimnated"leaky viral (trans-)gene products" would (also) tend to elicit a long term Th17/Th23 axis type inflammatory immune defence with an IL-6/TNF-alpha response. This would in turn also explain why both short and long term antibiotics treatment makes me and so may others feel much heathier, irrespectably if we're getting Ceftriaxone or Doxycycline and almost independently how much of it we get.
Best regards,
DrG
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nunc cognosco ex parte

Retarted

Post by Retarted » Mon 19 Jul 2010 8:13

DrG I dont know if you edited your post or if I dreamed that but I thought you had written that you get sharp pains inside your head that only lasts a few seconds. What's the medical name that you called this? You think it was a side effect of an antibiotic?

I often get that, and I didnt start treating yet.. I wonder what causes it. It seems to help when I take large dose of vit C and E, which I had started while thinking it could be caused by oxidative stress.

Dr Googlittle

Post by Dr Googlittle » Mon 19 Jul 2010 9:17

Hi,

Nope, that's not me. I have the intermittent paresthesias type of persistent Lyme (indicative of peripheral neuropathy) which was first characterized by Halperin et al. in 1980.
Best regards,
DrG
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nunc cognosco ex parte

Retarted

Post by Retarted » Mon 19 Jul 2010 21:29

ok thanks. I dont know where I read that then. I get a random twitch in a leg or an arm every now and then, which is fairly new. Same for tingling at the surface level of the top of my head. I wonder if that could be some kind of peripheral neuropathy due to my lyme. But the occasional needle-like pain inside my brain scares my the most..

I'm also doing a PhD in science right now but not in a medical science.. so I"ll wait till I know more before commeting on your bacterial/viral deductions. Btw in the hope of screening for bacterial co-infections in a few weeks I plan to run IgeneX's WESTERN REGIONAL COMPLETE CO-INFECTION PANEL and COMPLETE RICKETTSIA PANEL, and maybe rerun the BASIC LYME PANEL. (More specifically I have to take 500mg BID of cipro for 10 days for gut bacterias, then I'll wait 14 days and using the cipro as an antibiotic challenge I'll then do the IgeneX tests). Did you run all that? Do you think it's fairly complete or you would do other tests to be more thorough? Once I start treating I'm hoping it will be as smooth as possible.. cross fingers

memory refresher
http://igenex.com/files/PATIENT_TEST_REQUEST_FORM.pdf

Retarted

Post by Retarted » Sat 30 Oct 2010 0:38

Dr Googlittle wrote: However, they were much more "spot on" to the descriptions of dematological manifestaions of herpes simplex and they also appeared neatly aligned along nerves, e.g. from my neck down to my arm and all the way to the index finger of the arm in which my neurological problems have been most pronounced.

One possible conclusion is that I may have a dissiminated HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection, which co-exists with a chronic and treatment resistent Lyme infection.
doesnt that look more like VZV (varicella zoster virus)?

Retarted

Post by Retarted » Sat 30 Oct 2010 19:51

Dr Googlittle wrote:Hi,
I'm currently on Methrodinazole i.v. 500+500 BID, Doxycyline i.v. 500, Azitromyzine p.o. 500, Minocycline p.o. 100 and Hydrochloquinine p.o. 200mg
Burrascano and others have written that metro should not be taken with tetracyclines. You dont think this is a valid concern?

Dr Googlittle

Post by Dr Googlittle » Mon 1 Nov 2010 22:16

Retarted wrote:doesnt that look more like VZV (varicella zoster virus)?
Good call, your'e probably correct. After reflecting a while I concluded that it was varicella zoster when I remebered that the last time I managed to provoke a major flare was after taking Diclofenac, which specifically lowers IL-6, which in turn is a species specific defence to VZ.

Retarted wrote:Burrascano and others have written that metro should not be taken with tetracyclines. You dont think this is a valid concern?
Absolutely, Metrodinazol is a substance which is liable to cause about as much neuropathy as it cures.
Best regards,
DrG
Nunc cognosco ex parte

Retarted

Post by Retarted » Tue 2 Nov 2010 2:54

Dr Googlittle wrote:
Retarted wrote:Burrascano and others have written that metro should not be taken with tetracyclines. You dont think this is a valid concern?
Absolutely, Metrodinazol is a substance which is liable to cause about as much neuropathy as it cures.
which you think is made worse by stacking with a tetracycline, or you're just saying that in general? Do you think tinidazole is any better, or you simply regret taking cyst busters altogether?

Dr Googlittle

Post by Dr Googlittle » Tue 2 Nov 2010 19:27

Alltogether.
Best regards,
DrG
Nunc cognosco ex parte