ILADS Conference--Speakers' fees?

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Spanky

ILADS Conference--Speakers' fees?

Post by Spanky » Sat 11 Aug 2012 17:57

(Diverted and copied from another thread):
inmacdonald":

2. I have no financial interests in the practice of medicine related to Lyme disease laboratory
testing, Lyme Disease diagnosis, or Lyme disease treatment of any kind.
Okay...but could you, then, please help me understand about this?

I have always wondered whether the speakers at these events are being compensated...and whether they receive royalties or residuals from the sale of the DVDs that inevitably follow.

Based on the fees being charged...someone is receiving a fairly sizeable chunk of cash, looks like, to me...

Do you get any? And someone, looks like...is charging Lyme patients for the privilege of hearing your opinions...

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_programs/bost ... donald.php

For the past 30 years Dr. Alan MacDonald has worked to revive the Model of Syphilis and draw attention to clinical and laboratory parallels between Treponema pallidum infection and Lyme Borreliosis. Dr. MacDonald hypothesized that Alzheimer's disease might be the late neural borreliosis equivalent of General paresis of the insane. He further hypothesized that syphilitic Tabes Dorsalis might have a "spinal cord only" neurodegenerative equivalent In borreliosis, namely Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease). He hypothesized that syphilitic Temporal arteritis might have a Borrelia equivalent in Temporal arteritis of unknown cause. In addition to the ongoing Alzheimer's studies, which would occupy the remainder of his research career, Alan made basic new observations in pathobiology. He was the first to publish evidence for a cystic form of Bb, granular forms of Bb, and cell wall deficient forms. Although officially retired now, Dr. MacDonald has started a research collaboration with Dr. Eva Sapi of University of New Haven.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_programs/bost ... boston.php

Registration Fee

Conference Pricing Early Bird (until Oct. 10)
•Member-Non-Physicians: $445
•Member Professionals (CME included): $545
•Medical students: $250
•Non-Member Non-Physician: $520
•Non-member Professionals (CME included): $620
•One day rate: $400
•Spouse registration (with paid professional registration): $350

Conference Pricing Regular (after Oct. 10)
•Member-Non-Physicians: $545
•Member Professionals (CME included): $620
•Medical students: $325
•Non-Member Non-Physician: $645
•Non-member Professionals (CME included): $720
•One day rate: $450
•Spouse registration (with paid professional registration): $400

Conference Pricing At The Door
•Member-Non-Physicians: $620
•Member Professionals (CME included): $695
•Medical students: $325
•Non-Member Non-Physician: $720
•Non-member Professionals (CME included): $770
•One day rate: $500
•Spouse registration (with paid professional registration): $450

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_programs/bost ... boston.php

(Edited to correct broken link).
Last edited by Spanky on Sun 12 Aug 2012 16:52, edited 3 times in total.

Henry

Re: ILADS Conference--Speakers' fees?

Post by Henry » Sat 11 Aug 2012 18:51

Registration fee also includes a pointed tin hat, an helium filled Lime colored balloon, and a noise maker that goes "quack, quack, quack".

X-member

Post by X-member » Sun 12 Aug 2012 1:27

This is solved rather easy. Let IDSA have the conference instead, and let IDSA invite Dr MacDonald to this conference.

Spanky

Post by Spanky » Sun 12 Aug 2012 15:23

"Henry":
Registration fee also includes a pointed tin hat, an helium filled Lime colored balloon, and a noise maker that goes "quack, quack, quack".
I guess I would like to say that I am just amazed at the $720 entry fee...but truthfully, I'm not.

Talk is apparently NOT cheap.

What is kind of interesting to think about is who would plop down $720 to listen to that dribble... and how on earth someone like that managed to come up with $720 in the first place.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun 12 Aug 2012 15:49

Spanky wrote:http://www.ilads.org/lyme_programs/bost ... boston.php
Note that those links are mangled. It's caused by copying the shortened links as text. To solve: right-click the proper source links and select "copy link" in the menu, then paste it to the destination post.

Spanky

Post by Spanky » Sun 12 Aug 2012 16:49

admin wrote:
Spanky wrote:http://www.ilads.org/lyme_programs/bost ... boston.php
Note that those links are mangled. It's caused by copying the shortened links as text. To solve: right-click the proper source links and select "copy link" in the menu, then paste it to the destination post.

Thanks.

Hadn't noticed. Probably happened because I copied that post in its entirety from another thread. Corrected.

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Sun 12 Aug 2012 23:53

Never received any fees for invited lectures that I've given at any
Meeting.
I just paid the full price for the registration and hotel.
Transportation costs are up to the individual.
No royalty fees will be paid to any speaker.

What are the financial details for speakers at the ALDF annual
National Scientific Symposia? Does Dr. Phil Baker receive any direct
or Indirect finacial compensation? hv808ct has the insider information.
Hope for an answer...

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Sun 12 Aug 2012 23:54

Meeting.

What are the financial details for speakers at the ALDF annual
National Scientific Symposia? Does Dr. Phil Baker receive any direct
or Indirect finacial compensation? hv808ct has the insider information.
Hope for an answer...

Spanky

Post by Spanky » Mon 13 Aug 2012 0:30

"inmacdonald":
Meeting.
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate that.

But may I ask, also if you are personally troubled by the rather exorbitant fees for admission to this conference?

If ILADS has this self-described public-sevice "mission"...then why not spread the 'good word' as widely and as far as possible at little or no cost? Why charge people? It looks like the patients from whom they extract large sums ...are rewarded by being charged even more...to hear how even more sums will be extracted from them.

Where does all that money go? And if ILADS is such a public-service oriented, altruistic organization...why do they seem to be, appear to be... so cash-driven?

And have you considered whether your theories and hypotheses are merely an excuse for others...some of whom seem to use these conferences as a naked advertisement for their 'services'....to perform these 'walletectomies' on Lyme patients?

Does that possibility trouble you?

(May I also, though, assume that by your appearance there...that we can now assume how you, personally, "vote")?

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Mon 13 Aug 2012 3:29

I have willingly paid registration fees to Attend Symposiums sponsored by the LDA Columbia University Lyme
Disease program, The Alzheimer's Disease Association, The College of American Pathologists, The American Society for Clinical Pathology, The California Association of Pathologists, The Harvard University Medical School, The Stanford University School of Medicine,the Mt Sinai School of of Medicine , The Rockefeller University, The New York University School of Medicine, The Washington University School of Medicine (St Louis), The University of Rochester School of Medicine, The Boston University School of Medicine, The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, The Yale University School of Medicine, The University of Michigan School of Medicine, Cornell University Medical Center, The Oklahoma University School of Medicine, The University of Texas San Antonio School of Medicine, The University of Virginia at Charlottesville School of Medicine, The Medical College of South Carolina School of Medicine, Emory School of Medicine, The University Miami School of Medicine, The MD Anderson Cancer institute, the Portland Maine Medical Center, the University of Vermont Medical Center, Albany Medcal College, The New York State Department of Health Wadsworth Center, The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, The University of Chicago Pritzger School of Medicine, the University of California San Diego School of Medicine, the University of Washington Medical Center (Seattle), Dartmouth University School of medicine, Brown University School of Medicine .the George Washington University School of Medicine, and the American College of Physicians.
The Registration fees per institution ( exclusive of travel and hotel expenses) Averaged between $500 to $1000. I may have left out some Continuing Education providers to whom I have paid registration fees
for continuing Education.
National meetings levy fees for Education programs and these are open to physicians and to non-physicians.
Education is Costly.
These costs are outweighed by the costs of failure to keep current.
When is the next Scheduled annual education meeting for the American Lyme Disease Foundation and what is the cost of registration?