90% of kids with autism have Lyme??

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
rlstanley

90% of kids with autism have Lyme??

Post by rlstanley » Fri 1 Feb 2008 1:09

Does anyone know where the following statistic came from:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/Lyme_dise ... 495433.htm

Corona, CA (PRWeb) January 9, 2007 -- New reports indicate up to 90% of children with autism are infected with Lyme disease.

Does anyone have any comments about the contents of the press release?

Rita
Last edited by rlstanley on Wed 17 Apr 2013 0:14, edited 1 time in total.

CaliforniaLyme

Re: 90% of kids with autism have Lyme??

Post by CaliforniaLyme » Fri 1 Feb 2008 3:57

My daughter had an autistic presentation, so I'm biased.

kelmo

Post by kelmo » Fri 1 Feb 2008 6:33

I've seen Dr Fry's blood smears of his autistic patients. No red blood cell left untouched. It should really be made public and available.

Bacteria may not account for all autism, but I would agree it's a large contributor.

Kelmo

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 1 Feb 2008 14:37

I'd like to know what Bb diagnostic test(s) were used. That's an exremely high positive test result percentage (90% and 100% positive) given the fact that all the current tests available that I am aware of are unreliable and tend toward false negatives.

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 1 Feb 2008 14:54

Nevermind. Doing a little research, I've answered my own questions about the actual scientific validity of this: http://www.medaus.com/p/383.html

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Fri 1 Feb 2008 16:56

Any statistics cited should be backed by references. Always.

If they are not, then not only are the statistics suspect, but anything else the author states is suspect.

Do people who write these things want to be taken seriously? (Rhetorical question)

So, are there any scientific references that back that 90% claim?

Or, at the very least, where did this number (90%) originate from? Such a high number is suspect to begin with, so it better have some backing.

Rita

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Fri 1 Feb 2008 17:06

My daughter had an autistic presentation, so I'm biased.
Then I know you would want only the most competent working on the hypothesis. Otherwise you end up with shoddy work, shoddy results, and no acceptance by the medical community at large.

Fallon is doing an epidemiologic study, and this should bring to light decent stats and results: http://www.columbia-lyme.org/flatp/childstud-n.html

EXCERPTS
Based on the hypothesis that the prevalence of autism may be increased in Lyme endemic areas, the prevalence statistics for autism in the school districts of known hyperendemic areas in New Jersey and Connecticut will be compared to the prevalence statistics for autism in the school districts of areas without much Lyme Disease. The hyperendemic and non-endemic areas will be identified by categorizing rates of Lyme disease (in each area) into quantiles. Once the data has been collected and prevalence rates have been calculated for both autism and Lyme disease, an expected rate of autism will be calculated based on areas that have a low prevalence of Lyme Disease. From this rate, an expected number of cases will be determined (based on population size) and a calculation of the observed number of autism cases minus the expected number of autism cases will be made. From this calculation, graphical comparisons will be made to determine if observed values of autism more dramatically deviate from expected values in areas that have high rates of Lyme Disease. Prevalence rates will then be mapped in overlays to determine if Lyme hyperendemic areas overlap with high rates of autism. Arcview, a Geographic Information System (GIS) of which Columbia University is already in possession, will be used for all mapping purposes.
SNIP
How often would Lyme Disease cause an autistic-like disorder?

This is probably a rare occurrence.

If Lyme Disease has induced an autistic-spectrum disorder, is it reversible? Based on our knowledge of Lyme Disease, we would expect that appropriately intensive intravenous antibiotic therapy would result in a marked improvement in the autistic-spectrum behaviors. We do not know how long such a treatment should last, but our experience with other patients suggests that, if six weeks of therapy do not result in significant change, a longer course of therapy may be warranted and ultimately effective.
Rita

Joe Ham

Post by Joe Ham » Fri 1 Feb 2008 18:17

Rita wrote rhetorically:
"Do people who write these things want to be taken seriously? "

We have met the enemy and he is us. -- Pogo

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 1 Feb 2008 18:18

Any duplicated scientific research or references that back any of this up?
The good news for Lyme patients everywhere is that VCS (Visual Contrast Sensitivity Test) now gives the physician a reproducibly reliable, inexpensive and non-invasive test (it takes only five minutes) that makes a virtually foolproof diagnosis of Chronic Lyme readily available.

Once the VCS test pinpoints the diagnosis, PLD can be effectively treated with a toxin-binding drug ("cholestyramine," or CSM) that filters the offending neurotoxins out of bile in the lower intestine. It was Dr. Shoemaker's good fortune to be able to demonstrate as much, while presenting the first scientific paper in the world's medical literature on "Treatment of Chronic Lyme Disease Using VCS and Toxin-Binding Therapy" in April, 2000, at a meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. That paper showed that VCS was a better test for confirming the presence of Lyme neurotoxins than any blood, urine or DNA test for the organism, itself.
http://www.medaus.com/p/Lyme-Disease-Tr ... ,7030.html

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Fri 1 Feb 2008 18:37

The good news for Lyme patients everywhere is that VCS (Visual Contrast Sensitivity Test) now gives the physician a reproducibly reliable, inexpensive and non-invasive test (it takes only five minutes) that makes a virtually foolproof diagnosis of Chronic Lyme readily available.
You have got to be kidding? This VCS was used to diagnose Lyme in kids with autism??

I still don't see the 90% figure though. Where in the world is the actual figure documented?

Oh yeah: http://www.casewatch.org/fdawarning/rsc ... aker.shtml

There has got to be some phrase that describes this phenomenon of layer upon layer upon layer of incredulity.

Rita