90% of kids with autism have Lyme??

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
rlstanley

Re: 90% of kids with autism have Lyme??

Post by rlstanley » Sun 20 Apr 2008 20:59

William Lee Cowden, M.D. - Quantum Physical Testing and Treatment of Autistic Children
What is Quantum Physical Testing ?

Rita

cave76

Post by cave76 » Sun 20 Apr 2008 21:28

*****What is Quantum Physical Testing ? What is Quantum Physical Testing ?****

When used in the same sentence as Cowden or Klinghardt----- it's psuedoscience. Meant to 'astound' people who can't think. Or, simply, gobbly-de-gook.

Buy this book :)

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10015

Quantum Leaps in the Wrong Direction:
Where Real Science Ends...and Pseudoscience Begins

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Sun 20 Apr 2008 22:42

"Quantum" is altie-speak for "magic." These two words are totally interchangeable when used in this manner. "Quantum Physical Testing" equals "Magic Physical Testing."

I am guessing that this is maybe some sort of muscle testing/applied kinesiology woo with some sort of computerized woo attached like the EPFX/SCIO Quantum Xrroid Consciousness Interface biofeedback thingy (http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... f=12&t=618):
EPFX/SCIO Quantum Biofeedback Device Detects:

Allergens, Emotions, Meridians, Amino acids, Fatty acids, Minerals, Animal diseases, Flower Essences, Muscles, Aroma therapy oils, Foods, Organ sarcodes, Bacteria, Fungi, Parasites, Blood Chemistry, Geopathics, Physic Energies, Bones, Herbs, Prions, Candida, Homeopathics-Isodes, Spiritual Energies, Chakras, Homeopathics-Nosodes, Toxins, Chromosomes, Homeopathics-Classical, Urine chemistry, Dental diseases & products, Homeopathics-Combinations, Venoms, Digestion, Hormones, Viruses, Diseases, Ligaments, Vitamins, Drugs, Miasmas, Worms, EEG,ECG, Brain wave.

(SNIP)

The EPFX/SCIO is the most advanced system of analysis and therapy available in energetic medicine today. It is capable of processing over 60 million bits of data to help detect stressors in the body and all within 3 minutes to save the practitioner valuable time in coming up with your analysis and therapy plan.

http://www.quantumenergywellness.com/index-7.htm

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Mon 21 Apr 2008 0:33

What are the criteria for presenting at this conference?

What is involved in the selection process?

Who decides who and what is presented?

What impact will this conference have on the medical community at large in its consideration of a possible link between Lyme and autism?

Rita

minitails2

Post by minitails2 » Mon 21 Apr 2008 10:36

Okay, you know I couldn't resist this one.

Lyme Inducted Autism - a 501c3 non-profit corporation

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/aboutu ... board.html

Somebody might be familiar with a member of the executive Board, I'm not:
Tami Duncan – President and Co-Founder
· Mother of a child affected with Lyme Induced Autism and affected with Lyme Disease herself...
- Event and Fundraising Coordinator for LIA Foundation...

Kristen Martinez – Secretary
· Mother of two children infected with Lyme Disease. One was diagnosed with
Lyme Induced Autism and is now recovered and has lost his autism diagnosis
· She is infected with Lyme Disease

Troy Duncan – Treasurer
· Account Executive with West Coast Fund Raising
· Step-son infected with Lyme Induced Autism
- Event Committee - Exhibitor Coordinator for LIA Foundation Conferences
On the following page, it lists the LIAF board as:
http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/lymeau ... rview.html
Tami Duncan – L.I.A. Foundation President and Co-Founder
Kathy Blanco – L.I.A. Foundation Vice President and Co-Founder
Antoinette Grewal – L.I.A. Foundation Executive Board Member
http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/home.html
The goal of this organization is to provide education, awareness and research into an infectious based cause of autism. Yes..Lyme/borrelia is our PRIME suspect, but we realize that this is multiple infections happening on a disabled immune system and these infections can be triggered by many factors including but not limited to vaccines, chemicals/pesticides, electromagnetic frequency and a whole host of environmental factors. When we consider all options, only then will our kids be able to begin improving.

edit

This website http://www.liafoundation.org was created by parents of children with Lyme Disease/Borrelia and Autism. We are struggling to find the proper care for our children. Our children have such sensitive immune systems that standard Lyme Disease care can actually send our Autistic children into a regression. We have realized that it is time to educate our autism doctors on Lyme AND educate our Lyme doctors on autism. Together we can help these children live normal lives.
From their mission statement:
http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/aboutus.html
Research
- Physician’s “Think Tank” event to determine appropriate testing and treatment approaches.
- Ongoing informal research done by physician’s on our “Physician’s Advisory Board” to determine what treatments are successful and what are not. Quarterly conference calls to report progress.
- Fund or partially fund research, which helps to establish a more clear understanding of how Borrelia (lyme disease bacteria) plays a role in Autism.
- Fund or partially fund research which would help determine appropriate treatment strategies.
http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/aboutu ... board.html

I think that most of us will recognized most of these names.
The following list is our current PAB (physicians advisory board). They help guide us, keep us up to date on the latest research, treatments and clinical findings.

Robert C Bransfield, MD, DFAPA, PC
Lee Cowden, M.D. FACC,MD(H)
Deitrich Klinghardt, M.D., PhD
Warren Levin, M.D. PLLC, FACN, FAAEM, FAAFP(ret)
Janelle Love, M.D. DAN! Physician, ACAM Member, Board Certified in Family Practice
Ian R. Luepker, ND, DHANP
Anju Usman, M.D.
Toby Watkinson, D.C.Complimentary and Alternative Medicine,
with degrees and certifications in Clinical Nutrition, Acupuncture, Psychology, Thermography and Chiropractic.
Jeff Wulfman, M.D.
Therese H. Yang, MD, FAAFP
On the following is a complete schedule of the conference:

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/summer ... rence.html

They LIAF held a "Think Tank" on January 27th and 28th [me - 2007 I believe]. A list of participants and a summary of the proceedings are on the following website:
http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/lymeau ... rview.html

Here are a couple of items I found interesting:
edit

Dr. Toby Watkinson- bio-electric homeopathy
Dr. Watkinson provided a very unique approach to treatment. Dr. Watkinson deals in difficult cases of many types of chronic illnesses and infections. He spoke about his techniques for unwinding the immune challenged individual to bring about healing. His approach is not duplicatable by other practitioners at this time. Dr. Watkinson is working on this. We saw pre and post treatment lab work, which would confirm that this process eliminates symptoms, which is evident on lab tests.

edit

Jeff Wulfman, M.D.
Dr. Wulfman gave a very eye-opening discussion on the differences between Lyme disease and Borrelia/Borreliosis. The following is an excerpt from his presentation.

Lyme = a localized disease caused by a tick bite containing Borrelia. This can be eradicated by short tern antibiotics and may or may not recur, but short-term antibiotic use can diminish all symptoms.
Tick borne Lyme can progress to a Chronic Borreliosis/Borrelia Related Complex state.

Chronic Borrelia is an epidemic, which may be transmitted vertically or horizontally with usually no history of a tick-bite. This means that Borrelia is present in the body. A person with Chronic Borrelia may be sick or not. The condition of the host determines the amount of illness. In the immune suceptible person, the Borrelia bacteria can be triggered by stressors – physical and/or psycho emotional. Toxins such as metals, molds, pesticides, etc. can also trigger it. The other category in which the Borrelia can be triggered is by other infections such as babesia, erlichia, bartonella, mycoplasma, candida and virus’ which cause a cumulative effect.

edit

Symptomatic Borreliosis is unique to each person and multi-factorial with multiple-organisms. The condition of the host will determine how effective the immune system can deal with other infections. When a variable response to antibiotics is shown, treating co-factors can show improvements.

edit

It was the consensus of the group that an “informal” study should be done among physicians. In coordination with Igenex labs and the L.I.A. Foundation, a minimum of 5 physicians will be running tests on at least 10 children and controls from their practices. The physicians will be located across the country to give a good geographical representation.
The LIAF or LIA (I've seen it both ways) list the Townsend Letter as a source for their informtion. An overview of both the January 2007 event and June 2007 event were published in it. I also have noticed that the January 2007 was also written up in Public Health alert: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:prT ... d=37&gl=us

Still no information on criteria for presenting at the conference, but most seem to overlap their PAB and/or the "think tank" of January.

edited to clarify

minitails2

Post by minitails2 » Mon 21 Apr 2008 12:45

Rita,
You may have already found some information on the mysterious "Quantum Physical Testing" but I think the information on the following website is what Dr. Cowden's presentation at the upcoming LIA event is about:

http://www.comprehensivenaturopathy.com/led.htm

Now before anyone goes very far, I think this is the green laser, but I'm not sure. I think Cowden is calling it something other than a stick with LED you wave over yourself while vials of something clear out all your toxins. He is credited on the above site with inventing it.
In Laser Energetic Detoxification (LED), a diagnostic and treatment method developed by W. Lee Cowden, MD, of Chandler, Arizona, author of …., laser light passes through a clear glass vial of homeopathic substance and sweeps the patient’s body so the body can release and/or resolve substances that are affecting the patient. The substances to be swept are determined by kinesiology or electrodermal screening.

Unlike pharmaceutical medicine, which works primarily by chemically blocking or stimulating biochemical pathways in the body, LED works on the quantum physical properties of the body.

The diagnostic process uses kinesiology (muscle testing).
This site has more information about the same:

http://www.heartfixer.com/CHC%20-%20Dig ... xification:

This website is newer and is the site for a holistic practice in Arizona with which Cowden seems to have some relationship (at first glance he's listed as a free speaker). It describes a different device, so maybe this is what Cowden's talking about, although it doesn't mention him in the description of the device.

http://www.crossroadsclinic.net/therapi ... erapy.html
Evoked photon capture (EPC) is a tool of quantum medicine. Simply put, it allows us to measure the energy level at which the body is operating.
Both of these devices claim to test for, well, whatever. I've seen Mercola, Klinghardt, and Toby Watkinson referenced with the light saber. It' late (or early) and I have to go to sleep. Take a look around and feel free to comment. Maybe it's not the same thing. :?:

cave76

Post by cave76 » Mon 21 Apr 2008 15:35

Very good, mini, as usual. Now to find out where Watkinson received his degrees and if they are respectable colleges or "whatever".

Since I'm really good at delegating (:)) I know Fin probably knows how to research that.

Dr. Robt. Bransfield? I truly hope he's only there to offer his expertise on psychiatry and not green lasers. :(

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Mon 21 Apr 2008 16:55

Good info.

Now what are the potential conflicts of interest of the presenters? What are ALL the ties for each person?

What impact will this conference have on the medical community at large in its consideration of a possible link between Lyme and autism?

IOW will the medical community be more or less inclined to take the possible Lyme-autism connection seriously given this line-up and 'think' tank?

Musing: Amazing how Dr. Berthold's work was dissed by so many in LymeLand, including self-appointed leaders, and this gets the go ahead with nary a question by non-IDSAers.

Good basic research gets dissed--unless some newspaper article spins it the way non-IDSAers like it--and stuff like this gets barely even a 'huh?'

Rita

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Mon 21 Apr 2008 19:47

rlstanley wrote:Good info.

Now what are the potential conflicts of interest of the presenters? What are ALL the ties for each person?

IOW will the medical community be more or less inclined to take the possible Lyme-autism connection seriously given this line-up and 'think' tank?

Musing: Amazing how Dr. Berthold's work was dissed by so many in LymeLand, including self-appointed leaders, and this gets the go ahead with nary a question by non-IDSAers.

Good basic research gets dissed--unless some newspaper article spins it the way non-IDSAers like it--and stuff like this gets barely even a 'huh?'

Rita
If there truly does exist a connection, I hope that enough legitimate researchers are able to do more work in that area. I just found out that one of my cousin's kids is "mildly autistic" ... grandkid of my "fibromyalgic" aunt....

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Mon 21 Apr 2008 23:26

If there truly does exist a connection, I hope that enough legitimate researchers are able to do more work in that area.
Hope is what LymeLand always defaults to, and it has wished for legitimacy to somehow happen--to evolve--all along the way.

How likely is it that anyone legit is going to be attracted to do the needed research to assess a possible connection, given the current state of affairs?

Fallon's work about possible Lyme-autism appears to be fine. It will be interesting to see what he finds out.

If LymeLand wants decent studies and wants to be taken seriously, then it better stop allowing the fringe elements to have such a firm grip on the direction that LymeLand is headed.

Rita